Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I don't know how to love him...

I have not seen Jesus Christ Superstar, neither the movie nor the play. However, recently when one of my favourite singers (Melanie C) was going to appear as Mary Magdalene, I paid attention to the song she performs, called "I don't know how to love him". And I really liked the song.

Maybe my perspective is biased since I am her fan and I have not seen the whole play. However, from the lyrics I can say it is such a interesting portrayal of one of the female followers of Jesus. And I say interesting, since we are talking about a woman who was used to play an unpleasant role on society. I know, there has been a great deal of discussion about the true personality of Mary Magdalene, if she was really a sinner, a prostitute or according to Dan Brown, the wife of Jesus and the true chosen one to hold the power of the Christ church on Earth. Keeping this aside from any polemic discussions, let's stick to the baseline representation of Mary Magdalene as one reformed sinner. If she was who we have been told she was, the song cannot be more realistic about her perspective about this Galilean prophet, and His message of Love. Her, who was used to be the object of paid desire of man, found really confusing how to approach him, "how to love him". Us, as used to the modern idea of women having similar rights to men, having the right to vote and to work and do most of the things women like her obviously could not. For us might be difficult to understand, but if even the world of our grandmas was pretty different to ours, obviously thousands of years might be.

Hope you like this piano cover anyway :D


No comments: