Thursday, June 09, 2016

An Open Letter to the People Behind Me At the Symphony Concert

You know? This was the first time I had the opportunity to enjoy the free concerts given by the Houston Symphony in the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Just because of my love for all things Star Wars related. I had the opportunity to enjoy a similar concert in January at the Jones Hall, paying for a ticket in a indoor venue. I totally loved it. It was a tribute to the musical genius of John Williams, not limited to Star Wars only, also including suites from other works he has done along his extensive career - Harry Potter, The Patriot, Indiana Jones, E.T., etc. So obviously it was quite a good concert to be at.

This time I was somehow hesitant to attend. The concert would start until 8 pm, on a weekday, and I would be facing a long commute from Houston to the Woodlands - 45 to 50 minutes, some of them literally sitting in the traffic - but I decided to go at the end. We had a break from the rain and thunderstorms we had for a week, thus driving in the sun was a good reason to join my friends and to enjoy a walk along the beautiful Woodlands Waterway and a delicious early dinner at my favourite pizzeria, Grimaldi's.

When I walked to the best seats we could find by the mezzanine - free! - I noticed this time the symphony would be playing other themes from one of the music genius of our era, Mr. John Williams. This time the repertoire would be shorter than the one at Jones Hall, but they would be starting the "Star Wars - Main Title" instead of one from the Harry Potter movies; for Harry Potter, they would be playing "Hedwig's Theme" - my favourite piece from the movies - instead of "Harry's Wondrous World". Last time my friend and me arrived late to the venue, so the orchestra were already playing that theme by the time we arrived to our seats. And the surprise was that they would favor suites from the new Star Wars movie - "The Force Awakens" - instead of the better known from the Original Trilogy. So I felt happy to be there, since a different set of themes would be played this time. When they played the first suite, "Star Wars - Main Title" (actually the version from "A New Hope") I was truly excited as well as when listening "Hedwig's Theme". I was literally playing the notes in my head with the orchestra. I enjoyed as well the introductions Mr. Brett Mitchell, the conductor, would give for each of the performances. For example, I totally agreed when he introduced the piece from "The Schindler's List" talking about how John Williams said to Steven Spielberg that he could find a better composer than him for it, and Steven replied: "I know, but they are all dead." A film genius acknowledging a music genius.

However, at the moment this piece was being played, with the subtle yet powerful sound of the violins and of course the violin solo, enhancing the deeply tragic and emotional nature of the movie, I started noticing a whispered, yet loud conversation behind me. I briefly turned around, and I saw you two sitting with a wine glass in your hand, talking about non-sense gossip completely ignoring the powerful performance given onstage. I just shook my head in total disapproval but took my eyes and my ears back to the piece being played.

Then Mr. Mitchell talked about the pieces chosen from "The Force Awakens" and yet, you would not stop talking. I limited myself to make a brief comment to my friends but forced myself to ignore you and focus on the oncoming performances. And I was not disappointed. I had my eyes focused on the instruments being played, and my ears on the notes and silences, but yet in my head I could picture the scenes in the movie. I felt goosebumps at the moment in the piece "Jedi Steps and Finale" where a solitary French Horn played the notes of "The Force Theme" marking the moment when Rey hands old Anakin's lightsaber to Luke Skywalker. It was a "right in the feels" moment. By then, I literally had to place my right hand behind my ear and to lean my body to the front of my seat, to avoid your conversation from disturbing my experience.

Maybe you thought, "these Star Wars fans"! Well, a year ago, I wasn't one of them. So I can sort of understand your prejudice. But this is more than just a mere fascination about a 40 years old epic space opera. I simply love music. I acknowledge that my musical knowledge is more limited than I wish it was, but that does not refrain me from loving music and appreciate it. And I could have understood better your disruption if you were children: I was a hyperactive girl myself, and I know what's like to be bored and in need of conversation or physical activity. But you both were grown-ups, with some level of education, I presume. I must confess I would have expected more from you.

I don't judge you. Not everyone is wired the same way. Some people consider classical music to be boring, and think of it as just background music. But this was not a jazz bar, or a concert pub when you feel like talking with your peers even when the sound of the music is loud enough to discourage a proper conversation. Even if it is a free concert, perhaps you would prefer to seat in the lawn where you can seat farther from adjacent concert attendees who really want to enjoy the experience, rather than seat and talk loud enough to get angry stares from others. And it's not about your freedom of speech: it is about the behaviour you are expected to have at a performance like this, to allow others to truly enjoy the experience.

Anyhow, I loved the experience and I am totally grateful towards the fantastic performance by the Houston Symphony, the amazing job of Mr. Brett Mitchell, to the sponsors who made this event possible, and to Mr. John Williams just for existing and creating such superb pieces. But you, casual concert-goer, please take this as a plea from me to you: next time you are sitting at a free open-venue symphony concert, if you notice someone looks back with a disapproving stare, while you are talking about non-sense during the performance, please either try to lower the volume or simply shut up. The music-lovers out there like me will be definitely grateful if you do.

Sincerely,

A Pavilion Concert-Goer

No comments: